Friday, October 1, 2010

State Fair by Denny Lynn

This year Mama and Daddy both had to work at the State Fair. We went to Albuquerque three times for fair stuff. It was way fun. I got to hang out with cool people and make new friends. I liked the Red Barn, especially the baby pigs and goats. Mama and Daddy took me to the Kids’ Pavilion, too. There were all kinds of fun things to do there, including building stuff and hunting for sea shells.

I got to go to McDonalds Farm with Grandma and again with Mama and Daddy. I gathered eggs, rode tractors, rode the special horses and even milked a cow.
I spent time in the corn field and picked vegetables. At the end you got a treat for doing all your chores. I liked the popsicle – it really cooled me off along with my shady green chile hat.
I got to watch them milk a real cow – her name was Grace. Every time she mooed I would moo back. I told everybody I saw that Mama Cows make milk. 
Daddy was responsible for the Horse Council table in front of the Horse Barn. One day was special for donkeys and mules. They had a sweet little donkey that I made friends with.

I got to play with Tanner on one of the trailers. He shared his cars and we even did some marching!
Our last Friday there we went to the Draft Horse Pull. The horses had to pull a trailer that weighed more than they did! You can see how big they are – I am in front of the fence, but their feet are level with mine in this picture! I liked cheering them on when they pulled.
 My favorite new friend was Smokey Bear. I shook his hand and then later I took Daddy to meet him and take a picture. I even brought back Smokey Bear bandanas for all my friends.
I liked playing in the Corn Box, they had fun toys, even if I had to share them with the other kids.
Since I did all these fun things it was only fair that I do some working, too. I worked the Horse Council booth giving out brochures, picking up trash and helping feed the horses. In the 4-H Building I helped throw out all the baking that had been there for three weeks – shoo-eeeee! I had to wear rubber gloves and fill the trash cans. I think working was as fun as the fun!

Don’t worry – I am not quite “faired” out!

No comments:

Post a Comment