Friday, October 1, 2010

Baking for Fair by Denny Lynn

I wanted to enter my watermelon in the Southern New Mexico Fair here in Las Cruces, but by the time Mama got home from State Fair it was too late. We could still enter in the Foods Division, so Mama helped me get some stuff together. Since I can’t use the oven, we ruled out cookies (plus we figured they would get lots of cookies!) So we found a recipe for popcorn balls with graham crackers and caramel. I used Teddy Grams (chocolate and honey) to make them more fun and added colored sprinkles. First we made the popcorn.
I kept telling Mama “I am not eating all the popcorns” but every time she turned around I had popcorn in my mouth!
It was a good thing we had extra. We had to unwrap all the caramels – I figured out quick to put the candy in the bowl and the wrapper in the trash.
We added the sprinkle and the Teddy Grams to the popcorn, then I put the caramels in the microwave to melt.
Once they melted, Mama poured them over the popcorn and I shook it up.
Then we buttered our hands to make the balls. I squished them together and set them out on the waxed paper.
We needed 12 for the fair and I had just enough left over to take my friends for snack.
While the popcorn balls were setting up, I mixed up some pralines. Mama measured the ingredients and then I put them all together.
I had to stop and clean up when I spilled the cream, but otherwise I did great.
I mixed it up and put it in the microwave, and then I used spoons to put them out on waxed paper.
While they set up, I wrapped the popcorn balls and Mama tied on ribbons. The next day we took them to the fair. I paid my entry fee and left my candy for judging.
I won a second place on my pralines and a first on my popcorn balls and a second Best of Lot! I will bring home three ribbons! It was really fun and my first time to have stuff in the fair. I can’t wait to show my friends what I made!

No comments:

Post a Comment