Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Southern Fair 2012 by Denny Lynn

To round out our fair season we made a few things to take to Southern Fair. To start with, I made a decorated t-shirt. My was blue of course!
To start with we made my hand prints with yellow...
and dark orange to make the turkey tail.
Then I used my foot to make a brown print for the body.
It made a pretty cool turkey. Mama helped make the face to finish it off and I won a blue ribbon!

Next we counted out 12 pecans each from our meager harvest. This project paid off the most!I got a blue ribbon and a Best of Lot BIG blue ribbon!
I really wanted to take a snowman to the fair. Mama found instructions for a snowman candy dish made with a sock.
We put the sock on the jar, then I added buttons using glue dots to attach buttons for eyes and a mouth.

Mama helped me roll up a ribbon to make a carrot nose, then a blue ribbon for the scarf. He came out very cute!
He got a blue ribbon a judges special award that was a free meal at Peter Piper Pizza.
We also took the Memory Jars and Wind Chimes we made at Vacation Bible School. That meant more 1st places for our jars and a third on my sea shell chime.

With our crafts all entered and judge it was time for the Baked Foods! Mama said we could each make two things. My first one was Popcorn Balls!
We picked a recipe for S'More Popcorn Balls. We added graham cracker crumbs....
...chocolate chips (my personal favorite)....
and then melted marshmallows. I snitched one before they went into the pot!
Once they melted, the marshmallows went on the popcorn and we mixed it all up.
Then roll them into balls and done!
Next we made Nutella Butter for the special chocolate category. I melted almond bark with Nutella...
mixed it up real good...
then spread it out on the pan to make the base.
Finally, more chocolate chips - I melted the ones I didn't eat and spread them on the top. We let it set up and Mama cut it up for me. Then I picked 12 pieces.
On Wednesday, we packed it all up took it to the fair. I won 2nd place on my popcorn balls and 1st place with the Merit Award on my Nutella Butter. We took the leftovers to church to share!

We went back to visit the fair after Daddy finished the horse show. We started off with Popsicles!
Then off to the 4-H Barn to decorate pumpkins! We picked out some good ones.
Then we got to choose a face to put on.
Mine had blue eyes and a big smile!
We took a moment to pose and "Mooo" in the cow.
We had a special surprise when we ran into Uncle Rex and Aunt Lynette and got to show them all of our entries and ribbons.
We had a great time at the fair and I was very proud of everything I won. I am already planning for next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment