Monday, May 18, 2015

The Broken Arm by John Lee

So...over Spring Break I decided to jump off the bath tub. It was wet and I slipped, hurting my arm. We didn't know until later that it was broken! I broke both bones in my forearm just below my wrist. Dr. La Fon took and x-ray and put on a split.
Then we went to the arm doctor. They made me a cast so my arm could heal. First they put on a sock thing to keep it from rubbing.
Then they added some padding.
Next came the plaster wrap to make it hard. They had lots of colors and patterns to choose from. I picked puppy paws for mine!

They got it all wrapped up and it hardened. It itched a little, but otherwise it wasn't too bad to have a cast.
Wrapping up for bath time was the most inconvenient part. A 4-H friend told Mama to use palpation gloves (long plastic gloves they use for horses). Daddy had some and they worked great!
I wore my cast for 4 weeks and it seemed like forever, but we finally made it to removal day!
They used a special saw to cut the plaster.

Then they cut the padding and it slipped right off.
My skin was pretty yucky and my arm was stinky! I tricked Denny into smelling my cast when I got home because it was so stinky!
I was glad to have my arm free! Three weeks in a splint and then I should be good as new. I have promised to be more careful in the bathroom from now on!

No comments:

Post a Comment