Friday, September 30, 2011

Pee Wee Stampede by Denny Lynn

My new favorite thing at the State Fair is the Pee Wee Stampede. It is a special rodeo just for kids my size. This year I was finally big enough to do it. They give you a number like a real rodeo cowboy.
Then you get a hat to wear - black for boys, red for girls.
Once you get into the back, they assign you an event. As a bronc rider I got to wear chaps, too!
We had our own grand entry with our horses - following the American flag carried by a girl with a crown on her hat.
The first time, I got to ride broncs and bulls (there weren't many boys).
I got my own champion ribbon - Mama tied it on my shirt for everyone to see. What I learned that first time is that they give trophies in each event. I told Mama I wanted to come back and win a trophy.
We practiced and prepared and then went back on Saturday. I went in knowing that it was important that I try my best, even if I didn't win the trophy.
Before the Bronc Riding we get to warm. The idea is to jump with your horse. You get a score based on how well you jump.
As luck would have it, I couldn't draw a horse with much buck. Mine tended to gallop around the arena instead and this affected my score.
When the awards were announced - they didn't call  my name. I told the little boy next to me who did win - "Good job, you won the trophy". I still really wanted to win.
Mama took me back one last time. We practiced jumping and throwing my arm in the air. I lined up on the fence with everyone else and then gave Mama a big thumbs up before I went into the arena. I jumped my hardest! I waved my hand in the air and the crowd went wild! However, when they called the name for the trophy, it wasn't mine. Again, I told the other boy good job. Even though I was unhappy, I sat proudly on the hay for the rest of the rodeo. When it was over I found Mama and I cried. I was upset that I tried my best and still didn't win. (It was also 4:00 and I hadn't had a nap). Just then the rodeo lady came up and tapped my shoulder. She said, "I have a special trophy just for you. You kept coming back and trying hard and you improved each time, so I want you to have this trophy." I was so proud! I carried it everywhere! I didn't jump the highest, but I did my best and worked hard and I was a good sport. Those are the important things and they paid off. I made Mama and Daddy very proud! On Sunday I went back and told the Rodeo crew thank you for putting on the rodeo and gave them all a hug. Today I got to take my trophy for show and tell at school.

No comments:

Post a Comment